Originally settled by the Kirk, Hazlewood and Hanna families. When the post office was opened in 1856, the community was named Kirkton, likely after the Kirk family. In the 1860s, Timothy Eaton (1834-1907) operated dry goods stores in Kirkton and nearby St. Marys. He moved to Toronto in 1869 and opened a store that used a cash system instead of barter and credit. Kirkton is a small community in the municipality of South Huron. Today all that remains of the community are a few homes at the intersection of Highway 23 (Road 164) and County Line 8.
MLS®, REALTOR®, and the associated logos are trademarks of The Canadian Real Estate Association.